Saturday, May 21, 2005

Panna-lal, gaadi roko!

I have a mother-in-law. She is quite shy person who speaks slowly and softly and gives the impresion of someone whose's life is in slow motion. Her school is almost on my way to the office. So, I have been leaving her to her school in the mornings for a few weeks now. This is what happened one fine Saturday. My mother-in-law was to attend some school function, which would have occured at some other place than the school. Theplan was that the teachers would arrive at the school at normal time, and from there teh school bus would take them to the venue.
On the morning of the incident, just as I was to reach school, we saw the school bus leave the school premises. We were late. My mother-in-law asked me to follow the bus. And that's how it all began.
This is bollywood in reality. The school bis was ahead, and we were behind. The bus cut a corner, we followed 2 minutes after. The bus cut another corner; we were still behind. The bus climbed the flyover, and we followed 100 meters behind. The bus climbed down from the flyover and we were almost catching up. The bus crossed a public bus stop, and we were almost there. My mother-in-law asked me to take the car near the driver's window, so that she could ask the driver to stop and take her with the teachers. So I moved my car as close to the driver's window. And then came the call which astounded me: "Panna-lal, gaadi roko!". I was shocked by the loud commanding voice, coming as it was from someone whom I had never seen talk in normal voice in more than 2 years. Well, the driver, Pannalal heard and stopped the bus and all went well after that.
The incident was shocking but it was not ithat important too. A few weeks later, I was talking to my wife and I happened to tell her the commandeering of the Panna-lal. She was verifying the incident with her mom after a couple of minutes. She came back and said: "The incident has more substance that you know". When I expressed suprise by twiching my facial mucscles in surprise mode, she said "Panna-lal was not on that bus, the driver was not Panna-lal. Panna-lal is the most popular peon in school. Since my mom did not know the name of the driver, she called out the peon's name. Panna-lal's popularity ensured that the driver recognised familiar voice and gave attention during driving". Now, is that smnart thinking, or what?

No comments: